Devin McDougall is an attorney living in Brooklyn. His passions are sustainability, technology, and institution-building.
In his environmental practice, he advises clients on the remediation and reuse of contaminated sites, the recovery of cleanup costs from responsible parties, and renewable energy issues.
In his transactional practice, he advises small businesses and nonprofits on legal tools for meeting their goals. He has a special interest in helping cooperatives thrive and building the solidarity economy.
With respect to technology, he helps organize crypto-parties with the NLG-NYC’s NextGen Committee. Cryptoparties are collaborative learning workshops for encryption technology. He also advises clients on regulatory issues relating to new and emerging technologies.
He is an associate attorney at Sive, Paget and Riesel, and is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in New York. He is an honors graduate of Columbia Law School, and holds a B.A. and M.A. in politics from McGill University.
He enjoys exploring the city, science fiction, punk rock, and is a dual U.S./Canadian citizen.
- PGP Key (Please use if you know how!)
- 917 628 7411
- Sive, Paget and Riesel Profile
- State of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
Recognitions and Leadership
- Executive Committee, NLG-NYC
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute, Graduate
- Member, US Federation of Worker-Owned Cooperatives Referral Directory
- Best Note Prize, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law
- Best in Class Prize, Columbia Law School, Environmental Law
- M.A. Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Guy Drummond Fellowship, McGill University
- Graduate Research Fellow, L’institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris
Education, Training, and Conferences
- Environmental Law Boot Camp 2012, Environmental Law Institute
- Hackers On Planet Earth (HOPE) X, 2014
- New York City Solar Conference 2014, CUNY
- Legal Tools for the Sharing Economy Workshop 2015, Brooklyn Law School/Sustainable Economies Law Center/Democracy at Work Institute
- Legal Issues for Worker Cooperatives 2014, Democracy at Work Institute
- First Annual Conference 2014, New York City Council of Worker Cooperatives
- Regulatory Best Practices For Remediation of Toxic Legacy Contamination, co-author, Blacksmith Institute (2013)
- Storm King environmental law principle at risk after ruling, (interviewee), lohud.com (March 30, 2013)
- Reconciling Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife and Massachusetts v. EPA on the Set of Procedural Rights Eligible for Relaxed Article III Standing, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Vol. 37, No. 1 (2012) (awarded Best Note Prize)
- Is Delaware the Best Place to Incorporate a Nonprofit?, Community Enterprise Law, Sustainable Economies Law Center, Fall 2013
- Delaware’s New Benefit Corporation Legislation, Community Enterprise Law, Sustainable Economies Law Center, Fall 2013.
Sive, Paget and Riesel Blog Posts
- SPR Partner Dan Chorost Elected to Sustainable Westchester’s Founding Board of Directors
- Governor Vetoes Brownfield Cleanup Program Extension Bill
- Ten SPR Attorneys Recognized for Excellence by Super Lawyers Magazine
- New York Court of Appeals Affirms Municipalities’ Right to Restrict Hydraulic Fracturing
- New York State Commits Nearly $1 Billion to Support Solar Energy Over the Next Ten Years
- New York Court of Appeals Set to Hear Arguments about Local Limits on Fracking
- Solar Power in Governor Cuomo’s 2014 State of the State Report
- Significant Increase in Federal Trade Commission “Greenwashing” Enforcement in 2013
- Best Practices for Remediation Policies in Latin America Identified in Recent Report
- New York Releases New Guidance for PCE Levels in Indoor & Outdoor Air
- NYT Bloomberg Retrospective Highlights Projects for which SPR Provided Counsel
- SPR Receives Top Honors from U.S. News and World Report & Best Lawyers
- Recent Supreme Court Decision May Affect Environmental Standing
- Governor Cuomo’s 2013 State of the State Address Indicates Bright Future for Solar in New York